You are hereHome ›
DNR announces temporary closures
The Minnesota DNR has announced temporary fishing and spearing closures on a number of designated spawning beds and fish preserves in northern St. Louis and western Lake Counties.
Areas closed from April 26 through May 9 are posted for the following St. Louis County water bodies:
• Bear Island River: both sides of Highway 1 T.62, R.12, S.23,26.
• Beaver River: portion upstream of Bear Island Lake T.62, R.13, S.35
• Birch River: both sides of County Road 21 T.61, R.13, S.26,27
• Burntside River: both sides of County Road 88 at bridge T.63, R.13, S.26.
• Everett Creek: between Everett Lake and Twin Lakes T.64, R.12, S.31, T.64, R.13, S.36
• Shagawa River: both sides of road crossings at Winton T.63, R.11, S.19 and T.63, R.12, S.24
Area closed from May 1 through May 9 for Lake County:
• Fall Lake: below the hydropower facility T.63, R,11, Secs. 17, 20.
Additional area closures to protect spawning walleye are for the following dates:
April 14 – May 31, 2014
• Pike River (St. Louis Co.): from the mouth upstream to the dam T.61 R.16 S.3
May 10 – May 16, 2014
• Basswood Lake (Lake Co.): portion of Pipestone Bay south of a direct line from Kosulainen Point to Gary Island to Caribou Point T.64, R.11, Secs.11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 22, 23
“Basswood is being closed this year due to an anticipated late ice-out and the vulnerability of spawning walleye in that location,” said Edie Evarts, Tower area fisheries supervisor.